In 1954, on Chicago’s near west side, PNCC emerged as Eastern European immigrants banded together to confront their community’s most pressing needs. In the late sixties and early seventies, the Pilsen neighborhood underwent a major demographic change with a dramatic influx of newly arriving immigrants from Mexico. These new arrivals transformed the Pilsen community.
Throughout its history, PNCC has worked with businesses who recognize Pilsen as a fertile marketplace, as well as educators, the community and government, to improve the health and welfare to the community. In particular, PNCC has sought to give voice to neighbors who might not otherwise have the knowledge or power to achieve their collective goals.
PNCC has been instrumental in bringing new institutions and capital improvements to the neighborhood. These include:
-Allocation and construction of Benito Juarez High School
-Allocation and construction of Harrison Park Field House
-Allocation and construction of the West Side Technical Institute, a new City College opening in the spring of 1996
-Allocation of $26 million in city infrastructure funds between 1995-1999
-Planning and development of Alivio Medical Center, a not-for-profit community health center located in the Heart of Chicago and serving Pilsen, Little Village, and Back of the Yards.
Since 1972, when PNCC first organized a fundraising event to celebrate the construction of Benito Juarez High School, we have been partially supported by our summer event, Fiesta Del Sol. The Fiesta brought 1 million people to the neighborhood in 1995 to enjoy Latino music, food and entertainment. In 2012, Fiesta del Sol celebrates 40 years.